At Cardinal Construction, we believe that when you love your work, it shows. For more than 125 years, we’ve built a culture of trust and integrity that our clients, partners and team members have come to depend on. We are a mid-sized commercial construction company, and work on a variety of projects including senior living facilities, schools, healthcare facilities, civic buildings, commercial and retail spaces, manufacturing facilities and more.
We treat all members of our team fairly and are committed to continuous improvement at all levels. Our core values drive our actions.
- Positivity. We bring enthusiasm and energy to work, and are supportive of others, the processes we use, the people we work with and the Company as a whole.
- Integrity. We do the right thing, regardless of the situation or external pressures.
- Team Work. We believe multiple viewpoints add value when solution seeking.
- Continuous Improvement. We seek new and/or different ways to accomplish tasks through experience and knowledge. We consistently desire to learn and improve.
- Personal Accountability. We are dependable. We take responsibility and ownership for our work.
At Cardinal Construction, we work hard and play hard. We have fun together. We celebrate wins. We work to live (not the other way around). We are employee-owned. We believe that when we treat our team well and invest in their success, it leads to the best outcomes for our clients. If this sounds like a team you’d like to be a part of, we encourage you to keep reading!
Summary and Overall Objectives of the Position
Project Managers at Cardinal Construction provide oversight on all assigned projects from conception through completion of finished structure. In tandem with jobsite Superintendents, Project Managers are responsible for profitably managing all administrative and field construction activities to quality standards, while maintaining relationships with all stakeholders on assigned projects. Individuals in this role will often oversee multiple small to medium-sized projects, or a single large-sized project. Project Managers are expected to demonstrate leadership by following company standards and policies, achieving shared goals, developing others, and building high morale and commitment.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Essential functions of this position include:
- Execute project subcontracts and purchase orders based upon submitted and awarded bids/ proposals.
- Understand contract terms, budgets, insurances, bonds and change orders; ensure adherence including work progress being within scope.
- Track changes and associated costs continuously as they arise for Owners, as well as for forecasting total project costs each month.
- Direct and ensure the execution of Change Orders as needed.
- Review invoices and submit monthly billings.
- Assist with preconstruction efforts, as needed.
- Detect constructability issues with project design.
- Prepare and manage project schedules; identify and address long lead items; update project plan as required; initiate changes to ensure adherence.
- Lead pre-construction, progress, scheduling and coordination meetings as required for all assigned projects; coordinate with design team members on assigned projects.
- Respond to questions from jobsite superintendents, subcontractors and suppliers on a daily basis
- Review submittals as needed for all assigned projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Cardinal Construction’s Project Management team is supported by the leadership team, as well as Project Administrators that provides administrative assistance for all projects.
The individual in this position must demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans and specifications
- Interpret contract documents
- Understand scopes of work for all parties on assigned projects
- Ability to lead meetings
- Understand construction schedules and ability to create/update/manage schedules utilizing scheduling software programs(s)
- Ability to prioritize project-related issues and understand the impact of changes
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to tactfully handle difficult situations
- Consistently show ability to prioritize tasks and responsibilities independently
- Demonstrate good judgment and reasoning when investigating and solving problems.
- Utilize computer and software systems necessary to execute tasks and reporting activities related to assigned projects (i.e. Timberline, Timberscan, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, Outlook, Bluebeam, etc.)
Position Type and Expected Hours or Work
This position is full-time. The expected number of hours worked each week is a minimum of forty (40) hours, or more as needed to complete required functions within deadline. Our work hours are Monday – Thursday from 7:30 – 5:00 with 30 min lunch period, and Friday from 8:00 – 12:00.
Currently, we allow our team members to select one day to work from home, if desired.
Travel by motor vehicle to jobsites and client meetings is required. Any travel will take place primarily in the state of Iowa and will typically involve same day travel only. Overnight travel will be infrequent.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Construction Management, Construction Engineering.
Experience: At least one (1) year of commercial construction PM experience is required. Industry-specific certifications and/or training experience related to enhanced performance in Project Management position will be considered.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. Estimated range for this position is $70,000 – $90,000.
Cardinal Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment screening and physical. We offer an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to:
- Healthcare Plan
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Flexible Spending Plan
- 401k Plan
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Paid Training
- Quarterly Staff Social Events
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org